Whistleblower/False Claims Act/Qui Tam
Jill S. Schwartz & Associates, P.A. has been dedicated to representing whistleblowers in the workplace since 1993. Whistleblowers are employees who object to violations of laws or regulations and who experience retaliation as a result. We understand the courage it takes to speak out against illegal behavior, and we have a dedicated team of attorneys and staff who focus on whistleblower litigation to assist you in every step of the process.
As part of our whistleblower practice, we represent clients in a broad range of Qui Tam claims under both federal and state False Claims Acts. Under these acts, private individuals have the ability to disclose to the Government details of fraud being committed against it, bring a suit on behalf of the Government to recover the fraudulently obtained funds, and potentially share in the recovery of such funds. These are unique claims that require counsel experienced in such matters.
Common Qui Tam claims include:
- Health care fraud, including Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare fraud;
- Kickbacks and Stark violations;
- Pharmaceutical sales fraud;
- Hospice fraud;
- Hospital fraud;
- Nursing home and home health fraud;
- Government contractor fraud, including fraud by Defense contractors and construction contractors;
- Federal grant fraud;
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”) fraud;
- For-profit education fraud;
- Department of Transportation (“DOT”) fraud;
- Department of Veterans Affairs fraud;
- Mortgage fraud
Both federal and state False Claims Acts also provide protection against retaliation for whistleblowers. It is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee who objects to suspected fraudulent use of government funds. Before reporting fraud in your place of employment, you should know your rights under the law. Consulting with an attorney can help ensure that you report the illegal activity in a manner that is fully protected. If you have already faced retaliation, including harassment, demotion, or termination, for opposing or reporting suspected fraudulent activity, we are here to help.